AEW Rampage Live Results (08/13/2021)
Tonight, AEW begins the “Rampage era” with the first episode of its third-hour on cable television. The company loaded up the card with three title matches to make sure that this premiere episode will be a special one.
August 13, 2021 Petersen Events Center, Pittsburgh, PA
Commentary: Taz, Mark Henry, Chris Jericho & Excalibur
Kenny Omega (c) with Don Callis vs. Christian (Impact World Championship)
Brian Hebner is the referee for this match. Crowd pumped up for this one. The two meet in the middle of the ring and jaw a bit before they tie-up and end up in the corner. Christian with a shoulder tackle and then does Kenny’s taunt, followed up with a middle finger. Both try for their finishers, but no luck, Omega bails out to the floor. Callis gives him some ideas. Omega gets back in the ring and brings down Christian, strikes in the corner. Both trade chops in the corner, Omega with a big flying back elbow. Omega and Christian switch being in the ring and on the floor, dropkick to Omega launches him to the barricade. Back in the ring, Christian goes up top, Callis with the distraction and Omega sends Christian out to the floor.
Christian gets back into the ring and gets worked over by the champion. Christian throwing a bunch of punches, hits a snap suplex, but Omega just gouges the eyes. Both end up on the top rope and Christian hits a big sunset flip powerbomb. Kris Statlander, Orange Cassidy, and Varsity Blonds looking on from the crowd. Christian puts the pressure on, goes for a cover, two. He tries for kill switch, but Omega back elbows his way out of it. You can’t escape hits on Christian, cover, two-count. Christian fights back, looks for a spear, and runs right into a knee. Omega with a powerbomb, v-trigger, pin, two-count.
Omega and Christian with a couple reversal. Christian tries for a sunset flip, no, v-trigger, nope, runs right into the corner. Christian lands a spear, cover, very close three! Omega with a snap dragon suplex, another snap dragon suplex, v-trigger, Christian moves to the apron. He snaps the neck of Omega on the top rope, up to the top, frog splash, cover, 1-2-no! Callis on the apron for the ref distraction. Low blow on Christian by Omega. Young Bucks out, slide him a chair with the ref distracted. One winged angel on the chair, nope, Christian hits kill switch on the chair! 1-2-3! New champion!
Winner: Christian Cage via Pinfall to win the Impact World Championship
– Post-match, Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy run out to celebrate with Christian. Impact EVP Scott D’Amore also out to the ring.
– Backstage, Mark Henry talks with the new champion (who is with Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy). Orange Cassidy is looking not far behind. Henry says now Christian has the AEW World Title to look towards after his big win tonight. Christian says he’s glad Mark Henry is here tonight, he says Omega is one of the toughest guys he’s ever been in the ring win. He thinks it will be nearly impossible for him to win the AEW World Title, but he’s currently living in Omega’s head…he knows Christian can beat him.
– Fuego del Sol promo about how tonight’s match against AEW TNT Champion Miro is the biggest match of his life. He talks about how the fans have continued to supported him in AEW. Miro says his opponent will be cleansed with pain tonight.
Miro (c) vs. Fuego del Sol (AEW TNT Championship)
If Sol wins the match, he also receives an AEW contract. Sol with a huge hurricanrana as Miro is still doing his entrance in the ring. Miro finally gets up and the bell ring. He nails another tornado DDT off the top rope, but Miro rolls out to the floor. Sol wants the ref to count, so he could at least earn a contract by getting the win. Referee gets to nine and Miro leaps in the ring.
He tries for a third one, cover, two-count. He tries for another, Miro catches him, samoan drop on the challenger. Miro with the big kick to the face. He locks in game over, wrenches back hard and Sol taps out.
Winner: Miro via Submission
– Post-match, Miro has the AEW contract that was for Sol and he just tears it in half. Sol finally gets up in the ring and the crowd claps for him. Sammy Guevara makes his way out to the ring. AEW President Tony Khan comes out and gives Guevara a clipboard. Guevera says Sol may have lost, but maybe there’s victory in defeat. Sol has been coming to AEW for a year, he’s like 1-50, but the fans love him! Crowd with a “Fuego!” chant. He says Tony felt like it was only right that Guevara let Feugo del Sol that he’s all elite! The two friends hug as Sol’s music plays.
– Up in the rafters, we see Darby Allin and Sting looking on.
– Video package of Darby Allin’s promo about proving you’re the greatest in AEW…even if you’re “the best in the world.” Video package for next week’s Rampage at the United Center in Chicago.
– Backstage, Mark Henry talks with both AEW Women’s World Champion Britt Baker and Red Velvet before their match. Red Velvet is asked about her attack on Baker during Dynamite. Velvet says he’s going to ruin Baker’s night not once, but twice in Pittsburgh. “I’m going to stir your ass up,” Red Velvet says. “DMD” chant from the crowd. Baker tells Velvet to “stir that s*** up someone where, this is my place, my people, and my city.” Baker says she’s leaving with the title, even with a broken wrist.
Britt Baker (c) with Rebel vs. Red Velvet (AEW Women’s World Championship)
Crowd pops big for the champion. Both wrestlers trying for their finishers early on, but no luck either time. Baker working the match with a cast on due to her broken wrist. Velvet with a counter and works the shoulder. Crowd booing pretty much anything Velvet is doing. “Here we go Brittsburgh! Here we go!” chant from the crowd. Stalemate, Velvet with a pie face, roll-up, two.
Velvet throws Baker into the corner, then works over Baker’s damaged arm. Baker with a back elbow to Velvet, she ends up running into a leg lariat from Velvet. Standing moonsault, cover, two. Baker dominating for a few minutes. Velvet finally puts the champion down. Kris Statlander looking on from the crowd. Velvet tries for a kick, misses, Baker with a swinging neckbreaker. Baker rolls through for a crucifix pin, two, she then rolls into lock jaw, Velvet stacked her up for a two-count. Velvet is looking to take off the cast and the glove.
Rebel gets up on the apron and gets hit with the cast. Baker rolls Velvet up for a two-count. Rebel tries to hand Baker the title and Rebel gets thrown out. Velvet with a superkick, heads to the top for a moonsault, cover, two-count. Baker with a suplex, then stomps out velt, cover, 1-2-no. Velvet looks for lockjaw, but Baker fights it off. Velvet tries to roll away from the ropes, but Baker is able to almost get lockjaw applied. Velvet slams Baker’s hand down on the mat. Baker ends up switching the other way and is able to get it applied! Red Velvet taps out.
Winner: Britt Baker via Submission